Hazards In Residence Halls

Check GU Residential Living Policies for a list of the prohibited items in the residential halls. See additional information below in order to residence to assist the fire and life safety prevention program:

Electrical Overloads: To reduce the risk of fire resulting from overloaded circuits, we strongly recommend the use of a multi-plug circuit breaker outlet if more outlets are needed. Extension cords are a major cause of residential fires – avoid using them. If your circuit breaker trips, it is possible someone on the circuit is overloading it or using a defective appliance. If this happens, report it to the hall office. Also, too many of certain types of appliances such as coffee makers, popcorn poppers, hair dryers, and curling irons may overload the circuits

Open flames: Many fires occurring in residence hall are a result of burning candles. Camp stoves, candles, open coil heating or cooking elements, lava lamps, kerosene lamps, etc., can be extremely hazardous. These open flame devices are not permitted in student rooms. Similarly, burning incense is not allowed. Cooking on barbecue grills and hibachis is not allowed in or around the halls.

Trash: All combustibles, such as paper, should be disposed of in outdoor trash bins as soon as possible. Full wastebaskets and recycling bins are an invitation for fire. Never place newspapers or other combustible or flammable materials in corridors, stairwells, or other common areas.

Flammable Liquids (and other hazardous chemicals): Gasoline, ether, paint, glue, etc. are not permitted in student rooms or storage areas. Motorized vehicles are not allowed in the buildings under any circumstances.

Smoking: Smoking is prohibited in all Residence Halls. Smoking in bed is extremely dangerous and is one of the primary causes of fires in living areas. Careless disposal of matches and cigarette butts is also a common cause of fire.

Halogen Lamps: Due to the high temperatures emitted from halogen lamps, they are prohibited in the residence halls. It has been reported that many fires are caused by materials coming in contact with the halogen bulb or other parts of the lamp.

Cooking: Individuals can only cook in designated areas or kitchens using the proper appliances. At no time is one permitted to leave the cooking process unattended.